It is hard to believe but Thanksgiving is right around the corner! As we approach this time of year, I am thankful for our Lower School community. I am thankful that each of you chose to send your student(s) to Trinity. I am thankful for all of the different ways you volunteer with your time, talents, or gifts to the Lower School. I am thankful for the way we all – parents, grandparents, teachers, staff – come together as a community to raise young men and women who will be distinctly different for their wisdom and eloquence when they graduate.
Lower School Staff
As we enter a season to remember what we are thankful for, I am also thankful for the Lower School staff! I wanted to take a moment to share some interesting facts about the collective wisdom of our Lower School staff:
• Our staff has combined for over 100 years of working at Trinity Academy
• The Lower School staff has over 280 years of teaching experience at any school (including Trinity)
• The “years of teaching experience” figures do not include two staff who attended Trinity as students and experienced a classical education first-hand as a student!
As I go about my first year in the Lower School, the collective experiences of the staff are what are allowing it to be such a great year! Their knowledge of how and why we do things, in addition to their creativity and experience for how we can always make ourselves better, has been a blessing this year!
Outside resources and Trinity Academy
Trinity has partnered with a few different groups in the community to provide resources for our families who may wish to utilize their services. For academic concerns (particularly math and reading) we have partnered with the Hill Center. As we prepare for the new calendar year, the Hill Center will be starting new math and reading groups. This service is intensive tutoring using curriculum that supports Trinity classroom instruction but is in addition to the content your student is learning in class. For social or behavioral concerns, Trinity has partnered with a local alumnus who is a licensed therapist and is available for individual and family counseling. We also have a partnership with a local speech language pathologist.
If you are interested in more information about any of these services, please email me and I will contact you with additional information (cost, times, & next steps). All three of these outside services have worked with Trinity families this first semester with positive results!
Where is Stripes?
Stripes spent this week with Miss Burrows’ class. Last week during recess, her class was observed multiple times making choices that helped demonstrate good sportsmanship. This 2nd grade class earned their Stripes by their ability to get along and to settle disputes, from creating rules for all to follow to making choices that reduced the emphasis on winning.
Mark your calendars
• Friday, November 13 at 7 pm – Class of 2016 Pampered Chef Fundraiser – Atrium
• Monday-Friday, November 23-27 – Thanksgiving Break – No school for staff or students
• Wednesday, November 25 (5pm) – Class of 2016 Christmas Tree orders are due.
• Wednesday, December 2 – Progress reports posted by 8:00 am (grades 2-6)
• Thursday, December 17 – Lessons & Carols at 7:00 pm (Christ Baptist Church)
• Friday, December 18 – Early release day and All School Christmas Chapel 8:15 am (please join us!)