Dear Lower School families,
It is hard to believe that July is coming to an end! Each summer I always wish the days would slow down so I had more time to plan and get ahead on tasks, but then my love for students wins out and I’m eager for them to return. Ultimately, I did not enter into education to work independently in an office so while I still have plenty of items on my “to-do” list, I am ready for the halls to echo with the sounds of students!
I want to give you a few updates for the coming year:
- You can expect an email, to each grade level, on Friday, August 4th that lists the class rosters and teacher assignments for 2017-2018. TK and Kindergarten staggered entry days will be included in that email.
- A reminder that parent/teacher meetings (a PARENT ONLY event) will be on Monday, August 21st, in the classrooms. Each teacher will go over important information at 5:30 pm and will then repeat their session at 6:00 pm. I am hosting a separate (optional) administrative overview (highlights include frequent questions/answers and policy/procedure updates) at 5:00 pm and 6:30 pm in the Atrium that will also include time for prayer, as a community, to start the new academic year.
- You are welcome to bring your student to Trinity on Tuesday, August 22nd between 10:00 am and noon to meet their teacher and to drop-off materials for the year. Due to other obligations and expectations on teachers, please only visit during this scheduled time.
- The Lower School Handbook has been updated. The full handbook can be accessed online and has a table of contents which allows you to jump straight to your desired topic. If you ever have a question about why we do something the way we do it, please do not hesitate to ask! My goal is to be transparent so you can always understand the process behind our reasoning.
- Room parents serve a vital role at assisting with communication for a classroom throughout the year as well as helping coordinate and engage different volunteers. If you are interested in being a room parent, please complete the four question survey found here.
- I have attached the dress code for 2017-2018 to this email. There are minimal changes, most of which are items that are still allowed by Trinity Academy but are no longer offered by Lands’ End. Changes have been highlighted in yellow, including the removal of no shorts during winter months.
- A few points of emphasis for the coming year:
- Dress code: no shoes with lights; haircuts should keep hair out of student’s eyes; socks must be white, navy, or black (with the exception of 6th grade) and free from patterns
- Siblings are welcome to join you for events such as lunch, chapel, or assemblies; however, siblings (younger or older) should not be part of any volunteer opportunities (including parent reader, field trips, and birthday celebrations). Thank you for helping us maintain the focus on the students in the classroom!
- The Lower School theme for the year will be joy. Last year we focused on perseverance but this year we are going to focus on where our joy (not happiness) comes from. This will also tie into an increased effort to develop a servant’s heart within students, where they are able to place others ahead of themselves.
- Please read the attached letter (or access it online here) as it outlines more about the theme including a unique DRESS CODE option for this year!
Mark Your Calendar
- Monday, August 21st – Lower School Parent/Teacher Meetings (parent only event) – two options: 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm.
- Administrative overview and prayer at 5:00 pm and 6:30 pm in the Atrium.
- Tuesday, August 22nd – LS Meet the Teacher from 10:00AM until noon (excellent time to bring school supplies)
- Wednesday, August 23rd – first day of school (early release at 11:45 am); note that TK/K are in staggered entry all week
- Thursday, August 31st – Picture Day
- Monday, September 4th – Labor Day – No School
- Saturday, September 16th – An Exceptional Evening, 6pm Founders Hall
- Tuesday, September 26th – Early Release (for LS only) for Parent/Teacher conferences
- Wednesday, September 27th – No school (for LS only) for Parent/Teacher conferences
Lower School Head