As this is the last Friday that we have school, this will also be the last scheduled weekly email for the 2016-2017 academic year. I hope that each family has a great summer and I look forward to greeting students during “Meet the Teacher” on Tuesday, August 22nd!
Last Week of School Reminders
Field Day (Tuesday): Most of Tuesday will be field day, beginning at 8:15. Some reminders about dress for field day:
- Field day is typical black & gold dress code but instead of a Trinity t-shirt students can wear the t-shirt of any athletic team (local, collegiate, or professional)
- We recommend avoiding black and dark colored shirts
- There are water games so while students following directions will not be soaked, white t-shirts may not be the best choice either
- We encourage Trinity Academy PE shorts as they are the only athletic shorts allowed
LS Awards (Wednesday at 8:15 am): The Lower School Awards Ceremony will begin at 8:15 am in Founders Hall. Please do not utilize the first 12 rows of seating until all classes have been seated.
6th Grade Promotion Ceremony (Wednesday at 9:45 am): Following the LS Awards ceremony will be the 6th grade promotion ceremony. Students in grades 3-5 will attend and parents are welcome to attend as well, even if you do not have a 6th grade student.
Praise & Worship Service (Thursday at 8:15 am): Trinity Academy is having a Praise & Worship Service to allow one additional opportunity for students to worship together before starting summer break. This is not a typical chapel in that the song selection will be different, there will not be a chapel speaker, and the order of worship will not include the typical liturgical elements of a Trinity Academy chapel. Parents are invited to join us!
Kindergarten Promotion (Thursday at 10:00 am): Kindergarten promotion will be at 10:00 am on the last day of school.
A Look at Next Year
Trinity staff will be in professional development June 5th-9th. This serves as an opportunity to wrap up the current year and to start looking ahead to next year. Here are a few items already in the works for next academic year:
- We are making a slight modification to transportation used for lengthy field trips (grades 3-6) next year. The attached letter explains more about this change.
- To better align Latin with all of the other specials, it will be graded on an ESNU scale in grades 3-6 instead of the numerical scale used for grades 3-6 this past year. As part of their professional development week, specials teachers will begin to create a clear and consistent method for what is an ESN or U grade, while still allowing for the flexibility needed within each of their unique content areas.
- As you travel, please consider picking up a postcard or two that you can donate to Trinity Academy! Please do not write anything on any of the postcards – we will have some students write on them and then send them across the world and receive postcards back from other places as well! Currently our first postcard is on the way to a student in Russia who uses this to practice his English – once this student receives their postcard from us, someone will be given our address and will send us a postcard!
- Next year for the LS/Parent Teacher meetings on Monday, August 21st, I will be hosting an administrative introduction to the year at 5:00 and then again at 6:30. This will include information regarding some policies, announcements about any changes from over the summer, some “big-picture” view of items, as well as a time set-aside to pray for the coming year. Please join for one of these sessions if you can!
- Our private music lessons are expanding! This year we offered guitar in addition to piano; for the 2017-2018 year we are adding violin, viola, & cello lessons! Additional information, including how to sign up for lessons this summer or next school year can be found online.
Expected Staffing Transitions
Mrs. Crystal Lange: We are grateful to Mrs. Lange for her hard-work and dedication to her students this year; however, Mrs. Lange will not be returning to teach at Trinity Academy next year. I enjoyed hearing the excitement Mrs. Lange’s students had each day in class including some of their songs that they sang after lunch!
Mr. Chris Jepsen: I am thrilled to announce Mr. Chris Jepsen will join us teaching 1st grade next year! Mr. Jepsen comes with extensive lower elementary experience from the public school system but has known about Trinity since he met and married his wife, Trinity alum Emory (Wells) Jepsen, Trinity’s Class of 2005. I look forward to families having the opportunity to meet Mr. Jepsen and to welcome him to our Lower School community!
Trinity continues to remain committed to splitting classes whenever possible; however, we need your help to continue to fill the additional seats opened from splitting classes. I would love for Trinity Academy to stand out for growth during a time that many Lower Schools in the southeast are experiencing enrollment contraction – you are our most effective marketers.
As a reminder, Trinity Academy offers any current family $1,000 for the enrollment of a new family, to be applied toward tuition. A new family will be asked how they first heard about Trinity and who invited them to an event or urged them to contact Trinity. If more than one current family has had significant influence on a new family’s enrollment, the amount will be divided evenly between these families. For more information, please contact our Director of Admissions, Celeste Huffstutler.
Don’t forget to bring in your new, children’s underwear (boys and girls, age 5 and under) donations on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (May 30-June 1) of next week. Read more about this unique service project spearheaded by Sophomore, Anna G, here in Tiger Tales.
Mark Your Calendars (this year)
- Friday, May 26th – Baccalaureate Service (7:30 PM in Founders Hall)
- Saturday, May 27th – Graduation (9:30 AM in Founders Hall)
- Tuesday, May 30th – Thursday, June 1st – Chini Wapi Collection
- Tuesday, May 30th – LS Field Day – volunteer slots remain – please help via this link!
- Wednesday, May 31st – LS Awards Ceremony (8:15 AM in Founders Hall) & 6th Grade Promotion Ceremony (9:45 AM in Founders Hall); Early Release Day (11:45 AM) & last day of school for 6th grade students
- Thursday, June 1st – End-of-year praise & worship service (8:15 AM in Founders Hall) & Kindergarten Promotion Ceremony (10:00 AM in Founders Hall); Early Release Day (11:45 AM) & last day of school for TK-5th grade students
Mark Your Calendars (next year)
- Monday, August 21st – Lower School Parent/Teacher Meetings (parent only event) at 5:30 & 6:00 PM. Administrative overview and prayer meeting at 5:00 and 6:30
- Tuesday, August 22nd – LS Meet the Teacher from 10:00AM until noon (excellent time to bring school supplies)
- Wednesday, August 23rd – first day of school (early release); note that TK/K are in staggered entry all week
- Thursday, August 31st – Picture Day
- Monday, September 4th – No school
- Saturday, September 16th – An Exceptional Evening
- Tuesday, September 26th – Early Release (for LS only) for Parent/Teacher conferences
- Wednesday, September 27th – No school (for LS only) for Parent/Teacher conferences
Lower School Head