I am looking forward to seeing many of you at Thursday’s Night of the Arts (6:30 PM in Founders Hall)! For those new to our community, it is an evening where we are able to see many different talents and gifts that exist within our community! I encourage all to join if they can, even if their student is not performing.
The Purpose and Value of Memory
Poetry and Prose, which pairs oration and rhetorical skills with memory, is one element of Trinity Academy’s emphasis on the value of memorization during the Lower School (grammar) years. To help encourage you and your family with memory work and our Poetry and Prose competition, I wanted to share some resources from our staff:
- Why We Memorize (by Mrs. Knudsen) – This article highlights several reasons why we focus on memory work and also expands upon John Piper’s arguments for memorizing scripture.
- Memory Tips (by Mrs. Knudsen) – This article shares some time proven methods to make memorization fun and engaging for students.
- Value of Memory (by Mrs. Hofer) – This article was shared last year and is worth resending. Mrs. Hofer writes about watching the transformation of a Trinity student who, at one time, struggled with memory and oration to a senior who blossomed during their senior thesis presentation.
NEW July Enrichment Opportunities – Week of July 10th-14th
- Paper Crafts (rising 1st-3rd grade students) – Students will spend the week exploring all of the ways that paper can be used to make different crafts!
- Hands-on Science (rising 3rd-6th grade students) – The week will include interactive experiments in a variety of science fields such as earth science, life science, and chemistry!
- Latin review (rising 4th-6th grade students; Trinity students only) – Explore the Latin language while reviewing material to strengthen Latin skills. Great for the student who loves Latin but also designed especially for the student who could use some additional review.
- Greek Week (rising 5th-8th grade students) – Love languages? Spend a week learning basic Greek and studying a passage of scripture to gain a deeper understanding of the passage by exploring it in the original language!
- Speech Class (rising 5th-8th grade students) – Interact with a variety of speech types and explore how the purpose can change the presentation style!
Trinity Academy is scheduled for an accreditation review in the Spring of 2018. In preparation, we will be reviewing and revising many written documents over the coming months. As these items get refreshed, I will be sharing it in this space.
Also, in preparation for this, I will be participating in an accreditation review of another school and will be off-campus Wednesday, March 1st and Thursday, March 2nd.
Mark Your Calendars
- Monday, February 20th – No school for students
- Thursday, February 23rd – Night of the Arts – 6:30 PM in Founders Hall
- Wednesday, March 15th – PATT’s PDQ Spirit Night (Falls of Neuse PDQ)
- Friday, March 17th – End of 3rd quarter
- Monday, March 20th – No school for students
- Monday, March 20th – 4th Annual Trinity Golf Classic – Register Here
Lower School Head