I hope that your family had a great Fall Break! We only have three more weeks before Thanksgiving.
A Peek Into the Upper School – What is a SELA?
Thanks to some feedback from recent parent volunteers, we have realized that we do not always do a great job of sharing information about the Upper School with Lower School families. While your focus is on the Lower School, it is still helpful and encouraging to see what is coming up for your student in the future. I would like to first highlight something you see on the school calendar at the end of the year – SELA.
SELA stands for Service and Experiential Learning Activities and are opportunities for each grade level to engage in a trip/service activity that helps them develop community while also taking learning outside of the classroom. The current pattern is:
- 7th grade: local service and team building activities
- 8th grade: trip to Washington, DC
- 9th grade: local service (Raleigh Rescue Mission, for example)
- 10th grade: trip to New York City
- 11th grade: local service (Habitat for Humanity)
- 12th grade: trip to Italy
Trips are placed where appropriate based upon age and history curriculum content. While not listed as a SELA, the 6th grade spring, overnight trip serves as a culmination of the Lower School years and is also a preparation for what they will experience in Upper School.
The Senior class trip to Italy serves as the culmination, allowing students the opportunity to experience, in person, many of the historical locations, architectural marvels, and artwork they have studied over the course of their Trinity Academy educational journey. To help offset the expense of this 10-day trip, each year the Senior class organizes various fundraisers. Some examples of fundraisers that have already taken place this year include: Bake Sale during Homecoming, special Homecoming t-shirt, and the GoPlaySave coupon books. As we approach the holidays, there are other opportunities to support the Senior class trip to Italy:
- Concessions at Trinity basketball games (a reminder that all Trinity sponsored athletic events are FREE admission although an adult must accompany a Lower School student)
- Annual Homewood-grown Poinsettia Sale – orders accepted through Monday, October 30 at midnight. Prices range from $16 to $35. You may also purchase honorariums and remembrances in the Lessons and Carols program via the Poinsettia link.
- Annual Christmas tree, live wreath, garland sale – NC grown, freshly cut Frasier fir trees range in size from 5ft. to 10ft. and prices from $35 to $70. See all the wreath and garland options and order your trees HERE. Sales close at 5pm on Wednesday, November 1.
- Pampered Chef fundraiser, Thursday, November 9 at 7pm in the Atrium. Online orders are accepted through midnight on November 10 using this LINK (also RSVP here).
- Joy to the World by Matthew Young, Class of 2018. A talented pianist, Matthew has arranged and recorded a CD of classic Christmas carols. Digital downloads or physical CDs are available for only $15 via this link. Look for more about this unique offering in next week’s Tiger Tales.
Look for more opportunities to support the Seniors throughout the year and be sure to pray for them as they make decisions about the next chapter in their future.
Community Prayer – “Prayer for Young Persons”
Earlier this year I shared a Prayer for the Care of Children that our staff prayed during our professional development training in August. As we enter the second quarter, I would like to share a second prayer, this one the Prayer for Young Persons, and ask that you join us in praying this prayer over Trinity students.
God our Father, you see your children growing up in an unsteady and confusing world:
Show them that your ways give more life than the ways of the world, and that following you is better than chasing after selfish goals.
Help them to take failure, not as a measure of their worth, but as a chance for a new start.
Give them strength to hold their faith in you, and to keep alive their joy in your creation; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Mark Your Calendar
- Wednesday, November 1st – Chapel (Pastor Dominguez from Church of the Apostles speaking)
- Friday, November 3rd & Saturday, November 4th – Upper School Theatre Performances (note grades 3-6 will attend the matinee performance on Friday)
- Friday, November 10th – Veterans Day Assembly (sign up here if you want to participate)
Lower School Head